Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Keeping Pace




I tacked on the 2 miles east over the overpass, back on Taft before cruising out on Park and taking the corner at 58th. All together is was somewhere around 9-10 miles, getting stronger as I went longer. Sleep weary at first, the first 2-3 miles are ass-draggers. Attempting to get enough blood pumping to my legs, brain, heart and breathe easy into the early morning, which was heavy with humidity, but cooler. After my stop at Anderson Park for the water fountain, I loped up across Sheridan and found my pace. Once tracked in, I could feel the gait pick up in sync to the ipod's beat as my steps turned comfortably over, and over, taking Emerald Hills Rd in one light stretch, rounding off past TY park until coming at last to a walk, just shy of home.

Despite upswing in demands on all fronts, I am keeping pace. Extending my reach, my endurance, my range, I find myself able to handle the load. At 40+ miles per week, I am getting comfortable, although the aches and pains are there. Nothing is too chronic or severe to set me back. Across the board, even with the extra pressures at work, and with the family, I am sensing when to push through and when to pull in, to rest and regroup and let myself be quiet. I give myself the space and time necessary to envision the Work, step by step as it waits for me to carry it through; for it takes strength, stamina, it takes faith that it all can be carried without losing any of it along the way.

No comments: