Saturday, July 19, 2008

Loving the Run


"Number one is just to gain a passion for running. To love the morning, to love the trail, to love the pace on the track. And if some kid gets really good at it, that's cool too."

-PAT TYSON

I've had a variety of runs this week, and was able to add it all up to my goal of 40+ miles in total. I had the pre-dawn run Friday which took me through the dark into the early light of day, I had the gray, drizzly loops out, up and back on my usual route, and today the long miles (10-12?) beyond the Seminoles which took grit and determination to complete.

I feel strong. Tired, yes, but I can sense the core strength increasing as I practice my turn-over and ability to maintain pace for longer periods of time. Even when I think I'm tapped, I try to edge it up a notch, just to see if I can apply the gas. When I do, I can sense the deep reserves in my legs and torso ratchet themselves up to meet the challenge until I am flying steady down the road.

Today I loved the run. I loved the heat, sweat, hunger, soreness. I found that 'sweet spot' somewhere midway, where my energy settled in to a rhythm all it's own, and I forgot about what I needed to do, was supposed to be doing, or what anyone might say about my doing it....the lovely air, the heat, the pressure all contributes to the sense of being animal, physical force driving down the road. When I stop I can still feel the sense of floating just above the pavement, and the place where I stop is still general, as if I could keep going on, and on, over the horizon line.

Today I remember why I run. I am not young, fast or even very good at this strange endeavor. But I love what it makes me.

No comments: