Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Digging Deep



-Celebrating 28 years old, today
Happy birthday, flyboy!

I hit snooze this morning....my dream state is always most active early in the morning, so it's difficult to adjust to this schedule of getting up early- the deep tug of the subterranean world does not want to let loose and I am groggy and full of strange threads of plots rolling around in my head. But I'm committed to the schedule of training, and I've learned to put everything out the night before; running clothes, supplements- if all goes accordingly, I can be out the door in less than 15 minutes easily.

I had my mind set on the 7 miler, cutting out the overpass. The first 2 miles in is nothing but trying to sync my gait, my breath, and run through the shifting and assorted aches and pains. As I hit Arthur St., I had a lot of cramping in my quads and thought about having to either walk some or round the corner at 56th. But somehow, as I crossed that intersection, things seems to calm down and sort out. I rounded out at my usual spot, 58th St., and took the stretch to Anderson park and my water stop. I had found a nice rhythm and the day was bright, clear and hot. I needed that water, and took my time getting past Sheridan and onto the stretch that links me to Emerald Hills Dr. Somehow, when I hit that corner and began to head east, I felt myself finding another gear. The tension had left me. The sun, which was full in my face, felt warm and relaxing as the sweat poured off my arms and stomach. Without the ipods, I focus only on the pit-pat of my foot falls and listen to how they lay up on the pavement, whether I land squarely or drag in front or behind. I hit what for me was a nice, fast gait. I could feel the muscles in my outer hips stretch in and out of the stride and everything work all of a piece. I thought about why we run; to move, to fly just above the surface of the earth, to be motion, to lift, to feel our strength as we ground each footfall lightly, one by one, one by one...

Just when I think I have no more to give, when I imagine the next length of street, the next corner as so far away, it's upon me. There is always a little bit left for a 'kick', no matter how small, my way of saying "here it is, everything I've got." I have always known my strong suit is this mysterious perseverance that, based on my ever-present curiosity about everything, keeps me moving towards goals that might seem impossible at first look. When I find myself flying down the road I laugh to myself; never did I imagine I had the strength it requires to push myself to the level of sheer weightlessness I felt today. As hard as I ran, it felt like wings on my feet were helping me round those tree-shaded corners. As the sun embraced me, I felt I could absorb the rays of energy through the soles of my shoes. And somewhere, deep in my heart, was the possibility of everything.

Happy Birthday, Michael! May the winds always be kind.

No comments: