Monday, July 28, 2008

Thunderheads

"My role models are the athletes who keep competing even though they're becoming older and slower - the masters and grandmasters who are still psyched up about their sport and their lives."

-KAREN SMYERS

It takes experience to appreciate the roll of thunderheads mounting the atmosphere in majestic crests of whites, grays and blues. Underneath, a band of rain showers was soaking somewhere south. As I headed west today, the system eventually caught up with me and turned my picture-perfect early sunny morning into a swirl of drizzle, winds and atmospheric changes.

After the long run Saturday and a rest day Sunday, it was a good go today. Not only to appreciate the challenges of natural forces, but to run through them. The ipods are busted (temporarily I hope) so instead I took the ride into my own mind. The message I kept coming back to was "trust the process"... and don't let the particulars bind up my energy into distraction.

It takes time, and consistency and focus to appreciate the beginning, middle and end of every run, where it's fluid, where hard, when to pull up posture and breathe, when to fall into or up the hills. (read, overpass) There was a message in those thunderheads reminding me to carry my spirit upward and outward. And to drink in the beauty of those swirling mass of colors.

No comments: