Saturday, July 26, 2008

Steady as She Goes- Saturday run


-Dean Karnazes goes long

I was antsy to get out this morning for a longer long run. Up to now this season I have focused on 40 mpw averages, with a long run of around 10+ miles. Today I wanted to go half-marathon length or more, with a wide loop up and to the beach, down the Broadwalk, and thru Hollywood to home. This time I packed the hydration belt with the bottles, a Clif bar, and electrolyte supplements. The temps, at 7AM, were high 70's. Spotty clouds kept the rising sun from being too warm, and occasional showers broke out. I found my share of wildlife, including scores of baby ducks milling and fidgeting around a swampy swale on Sheridan, and rounding the corner towards Dania Beach Blvd, the scuttling of blue/orange land crabs into their holes as I passed.
The most rain hit me on that stretch, so that by the time I pointed towards the beach I was pretty well soaked, but also, gratefully cool. For some constellation of factors I couldn't identify I had a rush of steady strength on this stretch...I had not stopped yet, and took the last leg to the beach in a beautiful rhythm that filled me with joy and confidence. At Dania peer the turn south brought me onto the Broadwalk and bonding with the other riders, runners and walkers. I was tiring and needed the break at North Park to rehydrate and refuel. Heading down the Broadwalk it was a relief to see the ocean on my left, while making my way among the pedestrians. A quick toss of the head or hand to other runners, I focused on handling the brickwork which feels hard on my feet. At Hollywood Blvd, I take the bridge up and over the Intracoastal, and make the right into the gentle neighborhoods of east Hollywood.

I took just enough time to empty my bottles and the rest of my bar before meandering my way around the waterway to my right. I love old Hollywood. For sale signs are everywhere, and I allow myself to fantasize about which houses I would buy if I could. The ones with old Florida charm, others with their overgrown and lush landscapes, the individuality of their street presentations...so many places to fall in love with...as I run past. I have slowed considerably by now. I am up on Johnson Street and over US 1, and make my way through the less beautiful parts of town, over Dixie and onto Taft.
Here I take it straight on, block by block until I see my turn right, past the 'Y'.
The very last few blocks to home, I settled into a nice slow rhythm, and was much less burnt out that I expected at the end of this distance, in this heat.

The class work for next weekend is pretty much together, as I work on the rest of the reading. I am enormously pleased and proud of myself at this juncture, feeling that I've weathered recent challenges with my grounding intact. The balance I get from running, the satisfaction, joy and relief cannot be over stated. The magic in my enthusiasm to get out there and have the adventure of each run has saved my life in more ways than one. I am centered on my road ahead, steady on my feet, and savoring every foot fall along the way.

3 comments:

William M. Irwin said...

I grew up in Hollywood during the sixties and most of the seventies. I agree with you that those old neighborhoods between U.S. 1 and the Intracoastal near Hollywood Boulevard are beautiful. I remember as a little boy walking with my family up and down the "Boardwalk" (as I always called it and still unthinkingly do). I'm making a comeback of sorts here in Gainesville with my running, something I did a lot of in the early-to-mid seventies. I usually ran around the Nova/BCC educational area in Davie (it used to be much more wide-open and rural than it is now). I'm looking around Gainesville for some good running courses that don't just leave me dodging traffic while running on asphalt or concrete. Wish you the best with your running!

Right Brain Runner said...

Thanks for the comment and the chance to also see what you are writing. How did you come across my blog? It's always fun looking for those good running routes...good luck in your search in Gainesville.
rbr

William M. Irwin said...

I found about your blog through the Completerunning Blog Network website (http://completerunning.com), quite a good running resource.