Monday, July 7, 2008

Running into Rainbows


If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

-“The Practice of Meditation,” Zen Master Dogen


It might have been a good day to stay in, but despite intermittent rain, the open road beckons....so out I headed towards the overpass, under 95 and a short loop west before heading back east on my usual 8-9 miler. The long stretch on Arthur was where the sky opened up with inconsistent showers that fell soft then harder while gray scuttling clouds tried to block the sun. From the east, however, the rising run found pockets of clearing, and threw light up against the moisture falling, and hanging in the air. Another rainbow (!) this time not quite full, but distinct and beautiful formed over the west....and I ran into it, and kept wondering, what do all these rainbows tell me??

I did not stop at Anderson, but waited until Emerald Hills Dr. to rehydrate and take the rest of the electrolytes. I felt strong, despite yesterday's long run. Some tightness in my right thigh...a little fatigue episode hitting me until I got the water and minerals back...then it was straight home to yoga, and a hot shower.

Watch for the unexpected....and the sudden beauty that folds out in front of us like flags. I needed to see something for the week ahead that would help remind me of a Nature more vast and animate than any of my own concerns. And yet it helps to validate all those as well, as if something reaches out to acknowledge and support the forward journey...something says, come along with me- so you will not miss out on a thing.

No comments: