Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Open Road




"Passion is pushing myself when there is no one else around - just me and the road."

-RYAN SHAY

My tough day yesterday slid into dream-filled hours of anticipation, waiting for today's chance to run. Thanks to Keith, who simply said in so many words "...bring it on!" in regards to weather conditions (and who bikes literally everywhere!) I decided not to woose out. So with an extra rain layer, and the ipod tucked away from the elements, off I went, blissfully out on the open road again.

It never did rain, but it was one of those under water type experiences, the air so dense with moisture, the gray clouds so low and heavy, water in all the potholes, curbs and swells...feels more like swimming than running. I was tense, groggy, and tired. I seem to be going through a strain that's hard to unravel from a physical or emotional level. My instinct is to stick with routine to create endurance. And this weekend, try another longer, long run.

Making a stand to grab the future, in the face of opposition, oppression, ignorance or other obstacles, to stay with passion and purpose is never an easy road. The resilience needed to go deep, go it alone, and find solace in a still, inner silence is created from discipline. Running was the Way, for me. Sure I had other paths, and they brought me through the raging torrents and volcanoes of my past. But these days, it's the steady approach of long miles that seems to settle me down and sort me out, keep me in touch with wider forces and strong enough to endure the times as they constantly shift and change.

Where are you, when no one is looking? What piece of earth has fallen under your feet? Which angels are holding you up as you watch your footing, stumbling along in the dark? I make my peace, day by day, with the very air. There is a new road waiting at the end of dreams, itself another dream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story, i LOVE the last paragraph! When we're by ourselves out in nature, its so easy to open up and tune into the angelic...

Thank you, think i'm gonna go for a run!

Right Brain Runner said...

I guess we have this in common....running was a revelation for me, knowing that every day I go out there, I can immerse myself in Nature and embrace whatever She has to offer....it's a perk of living in S. FL that I can do this all year long. Enjoy your run!! LOL.