Monday, September 1, 2008

Every mile


Do not see the full realization in one teaching, one phenomena, one body, one land or one sentient being. You should see the full realization everywhere, in all places.
- Sakyamuni Buddha

All runs have a beginning, middle and end. The ultra guy doing the Appalachian trail set out one day, one mile....for the first of a thousand. My short runs can be over in an hour. Today, for a long long run, I was gone for over 2-3...and completed something like a half marathon.

I was up early enough to get a cool start. The winds which picked up for the far side of Gustav still had a little kick, but things were calm and fresh on the swell of air, a few bobbles of gray clouds scattered over the horizon. After yesterday's rest, the first few miles were slow and comfortable. I headed to John Williams park for water and pit stop and decided then and there to head out Charleston and loop at University.

I knew if I circled to Taft and headed east again, I would get my long distance in for the week, since none of them have been over 9 or 10 for a while. My next stop was the corner of Taft, for fuel and water before taking the back streets to 441, where I cross over until I meet the corner at Thomas and the last water stop at Anderson park.
During the middle miles, I oscillated between break-down and re-energizing, finding stretches of rhythm broken by cramping muscles, fatigue and mental discouragement. All par for the course. The last few miles of Thomas, I found a kick at the very end, something I just do automatically now no matter how tough the run; I gave it my all until Park, and when I finally stopped for the last block's walk, my legs felt rubbery and unsteady...I knew I had taken a beating, stretched their limit, brought it home just in time.

I made it up the steps and in the door with relief and accomplishment. Every mile has it's part in making the run, and the runner. Each moment of ease is complimented by abject and crushing barriers which seem to prevent another step, or block or mile. It's a test of will, sometimes, to stick to the Plan and pull it through. The perseverance of the Path is always to stay with it no matter how much it looks like disaster is on our door. Keep moving. Slow down if you must. But know the road will wait for you to get strong, to be able to handle it if you take yourself beyond your own limits.

No comments: