Saturday, September 13, 2008

HOT Saturday run




The week at work was so intense, so much to do, that I felt myself riding a kind of manic wave as I tried to get everything done. By yesterday evening I was completely tanked out, and barely moved off the floor as I caught up with the world, the news, the fatigue of my own body. So sure, maybe it was overly optimistic to think I could handle a long run today, but I was determined....let myself sleep an extra half hour in the morning, and was out the door by before 8.

Of course with scorching heat, that's not all that early, as I found out by the time I made it to the beach, via Sheridan and Dania Beach Blvd. I was having trouble with those damn headwinds, all the way in, which I struggled with all this week, thanks to Ike. Only when I turned south on the Broadwalk was there some relief, but by then it was draggin' ass.

So I limped and jogged my way past uber runners who couldn't care less about the time, the temps or the winds, tourists, bikers, bladers and bathers, and eventually made my way up and over the Intercoastal heading for my next stop at the Young Circle Publix. Do you know I had to walk half the way on Hollywood Blvd?? And later again, a part of 26th, Johnson and the last half mile home. That is a first.

Moral of the story? Don't run in headwinds all week with higher mileage and expect anything gracious out of a long run. Was it ok to run/walk? Of course. Do I feel like I cheated myself of my own 'uber' expectations? You bet. Can I realistically compete with Dean or for that matter the young and fabulous runners who passed me all day? Well, not today that's for sure. Ego is always getting in the way of enjoying the run. My competitive streak wants to outdo someone or something. When I can't push as far as I want, I protest; I demand better of myself. But the bottom line is, I had 3 hours out there of really pushing my body to hold onto it's endurance for staying on my feet, doing the distance, compensating for the heat, and I made it home in one piece.

It's worth considering that every effort it a good one. Even if it's not our fantasy outcome. And nothing keeps us from working a little harder for next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was having trouble with those damn headwinds, all the way in, which I struggled with all this week, thanks to Ike.

I can relate to the headwinds. On the bike its brutal. It's worse than the mountains because the mountains don't come at you from all different directions.

Right Brain Runner said...

It's a good thing we have wind in Florida or I would get no resistance training. I'm learning to like the wind, like having a zen coach- you never know what's coming at you, right?