Tuesday, September 23, 2008

New Day




"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit."

-GEORGE SHEEHAN

Awake before dawn, I managed enough yoga/stretching before any light came up to help ensure I would start with less stiffness today...and as I began to trot down the sidewalk I was able to witness the amazing bands of deep color that sunrise brought to a new day. I decided to head west on Thomas and therefore add about a mile or so on the Griffin loop, as well as hopefully avoid the traffic at one of the schools on the usual route- it's crazy early in the morning!! Weekend runs are so much more relaxed!
But this was a good strategy overall...just the right length to be challenging, avoided most traffic, and still caught my favorite stretches up to and from Griffin.
The 18 miler must have done me more good than I thought, because I had some decent endurance and a kick or two when called upon. The weather, far from cool at least is not as oppressive. I found myself trying NOT to think about work, or the folks, or the hundred other things on the 'must do' list. And gratefully, blissfully, a few moments of transcending thought while I enjoyed the motion and rhythm of my stride.

It's not an easy time, not for many of us. Whether pressed by material, emotional or physical concerns, we seem to have strayed into the weeds but good. Through no fault of our own, we follow the paths put down by others who came before. It seems it's time to recognize the ruse; we can still choose the path, find the way, walk out of wandering into purpose, any time we feel ready.

I am ready for a New Day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

we can still choose the path, find the way, walk out of wandering into purpose, any time we feel ready

We must be willing to take a risk.