Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Navigating Through Difficult Times




"Running is the classical road to self-consciousness, self-awareness, and self-reliance."

-NOEL CARROLL

Taking myself in hand this week, doing everything I can to get organized better at work, learn what I need to stay on top of new demands, keep current with all client craziness, and keeping arm's length from the other crazy-makers. I was out before dawn today, to run the same route as yesterday, this time with no stop and in my Spira's, to give my feet a switch out from the Asics, and to practice greater endurance. So my 8 miler was completely non-stop; even at crossroads, catching all the lights. And hey, drivers...you are bigger than me...pedestrian right of way....if you see a runner, take a second and let them get across...everyone is in a big fat hurry and willing to mow me over...incredible.

The climate of crisis continues worldwide; voices of reason pitted against the Suits once again who attempt more control of our minds and wallets by the minute. Wake up America!! The clock is ticking down. When voting day comes, will you still let old prejudices rule? Or will vision and sanity win the day?? The situation is so fluid, I can feel the shifting like sands under my own feet. When I run, I crave that solidity of my stride as I flop-flop on the roads, the steady footfalls keeping rhythm with my heartbeat, the pulse that underlays every emotion, thought and action. We are fundamental in our make-up, and yet the world would complicate us out of all proportion. Even as we analyze and speculate and conjecture over our every nuanced move, we are fundamentally rhythm in motion. We dance, we speak, we sleep, we dream.
I had Obama in my dreams last night; have I made a connection?? Can I lend a light on a deeper level that adds to his purpose? May the Beneficent Ones see us through to brighter days, even if the darkness looms all around. May we be willing to see the Light.

3 comments:

William M. Irwin said...

Two points (about running and politics):

Running: Having grown up in Hollywood and knowing how congested that area is, I feel great admiration for your road running around town down there. I pretty much know the different roads you run on. You've actually inspired me to vary my courses from day to day here in Gainesville. It's a liberating feeling, knowing that I can run pretty much anywhere now!

Politics: As the presidential campaign winds down, the rhetoric is going to get more intense and meaner, I'm afraid. I agree that Obama is probably the better choice and plan to vote for him. If he wins, then great! And if he loses, then I'll naturally be disappointed. But I can't let myself get too emotionally involved in what's going to happen in the coming few weeks. I've made my own peace about the election, and I just have to let it go, for better or for worse. Hopefully, for better!

Right Brain Runner said...

I'm so grateful to know I've inspired you...in any way!! It's hard to believe, but I am one of a very very few people who actually run outdoors...either everyone else is at the gym or the park. There is something about 'the trek' that is the point of running, to me. It's the thrill of the adventure, which is why I love to find new routes. I'm 'stuck' on Griffin for the moment, but this weekend, I hope to morph it with some of my other longer loops for something a little bit new.

As to politics, I have some acceptance of "what will be will be"...at the same time, the drama and excitement of events, as well as sheer gravity grips me. I DO hope for history to turn a corner this time!!!

Thanks!

Unknown said...

These times are amazing. A black man and a woman in the White House, imagine that. Please God. Make it so.