Thursday, September 4, 2008

Draggin' along



To mark my intention to run the October 30K training run in Deerfield, I took myself through a "hills and drills" routine, which I haven't done in some time. I've run consecutive days now since Saturday and it's apparent that my body is not a fan of this kind of punishment. Especially since I did my longest run Monday (half-marthon-ish), then 8's more or less until today. So I took the overpasses, then to the park for all the swells throwing a few sprints in for good measure. It was great to see the park for the first time in a while, which is now lush and green from all the rains and storms. The winds have picked up again as Hanna brushes us to the east, and all eyes are on Hurricane Ike which has intensified and consolidated itself to a potential menace for next week. I can hopefully get 1 or 2 long runs this weekend for a very respectable mileage this week, and then will need to see what Mother Nature has in store for us as of Monday.

Meanwhile, the political winds are blowing every which way. I listen to the pundits, the polls and try to take the direction of the 'gestalt' vibe....sometimes wondering if the country will buy itself another 4 years of regression or finally bump free of reactionary tactics. It's hard to imagine all the conservatives swallow the propaganda, but maybe if you are doing well, even when others are not, it's always an easy choice.

In my world, very ordinary people with extraordinary challenges are just trying to survive at the basic levels, establishing more than just their sobriety or stability. The need to adjust to the demands of modern life are more than many can handle. And which party do you think is willing to help? If you are poor and sick in America, good luck, 'cause you'll need it. Vote the Dems back in office.

No comments: