Friday, June 6, 2008

Plenty of Time and No Time


If we have...presence of mind then whatever work we do will be the very tool which enables us to know right and wrong continually. There's plenty of time to meditate, we just don't fully understand the practice, that's all. While sleeping we breathe, eating we breathe, don't we? Why don't we have time to meditate? Wherever we are we breathe. If we think like this then our life has as much value as our breath, wherever we are we have time.

-Ajahn Chah, "Taste of Freedom"

No time to think today, back to back clients, the unit mood dramatic with change, boxes begin to stack, papers are taken down; options discussed, complained over, emotions running high. No time to run, going in by 7AM, attempting to stay out of the office this weekend. No time to see Mom, although all these things had choices, and in the end, I choose to be home while I have the chance, and breathe.

Plenty of time to watch the light brighten off the back windows as the day lengthens, and to see the movement of late day breezes off the ocean, or everglades or whereever they originated. Somewhere, forces are fueling winds, and they fall into my neighborhood, kicking up the dust and sand, filtering the air, breathing down our backs with the heat of the sun.

No time to digest the changes...and to speculate about tomorrow, it's all so immediate. No time to wonder what might happen, it's all happening now.

Plenty of time later to let the night take me in it's wide embrace. I will wait longingly for the quiet to overcome me. I will listen for the footsteps of my dreams and look for the dark lines of night to soften my eyes. The dreams of future times are just out of reach as my pace picks up again to chase them down.

No comments: