Monday, June 23, 2008

Balancing the World



I ran my old 8 miler route today, up and over the overpass, looping back west, up 56th and etc. My old, sluggish self needs to 'reboot' that pattern, put that little hill back in, push the envelop a bit to strengthen and increase my endurance. What a tough go! Though I was out the door a bit after 6:30 AM, it was oppressive after a few miles. The staunch rhythm of my gait kept crumbling under the weight of the humidity. Only after 3 miles or so did I settle into a quieter ride, and this after a short walk break, just to let myself cool down a bit.

Everyone is hanging tough, balancing the odd bits of rough stuff stirring up in the pockets of our lives. Mom gets her bit from the psychologist yesterday, Dad from the staff, memories of times past and other crutches, while I'm sometimes rather excited by the whole level of intensity; how so little effort can make so much difference in the balance between standing, and falling down.

It takes a lot of guts. To stride out the door with an intent to run, then to run, then to finish that run. I left the ipod at home today, in a deliberate choice to remove distraction. It took guts to let my brain roam without structure; what I found was more kindness than I expected, and more courage as I pushed through and followed the road out and around the obstacles of mind, body and soul.

We could remember the world sizing up in our hands, like a jewel, a heart, a portal that can send us through the rabbit hole into other worlds...where runs are accomplished like safaris into jungles full of lush and beautiful dreams, and love fills the river of life.

No comments: