Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Down, not Out




"Some runners judge performance by whether they won or lost. Others define success or failure by how fast they ran. Only you can judge your performance. Avoid letting others sit in judgment of you."

-HAL HIGDON

Somewhere around Saturday in the midst of my finishing class at NSU, I came down with a bad cold. I haven't been sick in so long, I couldn't believe it, and by Sunday it was a full-blown head/body, sneezing mess. I took off work yesterday, also a rare event- for being sick. But today, despite a part of me that said, 'turn over and go back to sleep', I got up and did an easy 4-5 miler, just to see how it felt.

The air was crisp as an apple; the sky crystal clear with blue edges sharp against the highlights of early morning. The first steps felt surreal; 3 days is the longest I've gone without running. I felt like I was flying just above the pavement, watching my own feet. There was no feeling until a half mile or so when I finally felt my muscles respond, or my brain catch up, whichever...and took my time cruising out Arthur and rounding to Park after a short walk break. Park was wide open and a joy. Dumb teenagers attempt to sling verbal crap at me- I notice this at several bus stops- they seem to enjoy taunting me. And that took a mental adjustment to revamp boundaries, which is good- I'll need them strong for work today, as I head back to the fray.

I confess all I really think about on the road is Miami. Beginning this weekend, assuming I am all ok, I'll do a serious training plan, now that I am about 2 months out. Thats 1 month or so to ramp up and a few weeks to taper. It doesn't seem possible right now, the way I feel. But I've been strong up to now. Keeping focus, there isn't anything out of reach, if I just keep my eye on the prize.

No comments: