Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Even when Average


"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running."

-SARAH CONDOR

Seems I continue to try to regain strength and stamina. The 8 miles at the gym Sunday on the treadmill took a toll; about 4-5 miles yesterday and around 6 today were challenging. Caught in a gentle rain, a couple of walk breaks....nothing like the intensity I had going on before....before, what? Before getting sick, getting shell-shocked from personal issues, work, before having to decide to bail on the marathon. Running is a mental game. It takes tough mindedness to keep focused discipline on the overall game-plan, which sometimes amounts to just getting out and running. It takes awareness that movement always has its benefits, even if it isn't pretty.

I've been downloading new podcasts, including 'This American Life' from NPR, and a couple of running forums, besides my usual podrunners. Sometimes, the pleasure is in losing myself in the music or the story, and just letting the miles go. I think for the New Year, I will treat myself to downloaded books; seems a good way to catch up on 'reading' and enjoy the journey all the more.

Moral of the story? The methods may change, the approach modified. But it always remains one foot in front of the other, in the steady drumbeat of rhythm. And this simple formula never fails.

No comments: