Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday Long Run

"Independence is the outstanding characteristic of the runner."

-NOEL CARROLL

After recovery day Monday, and a short session of hills and drills in the Park Tuesday, I was itching to get out there and really tuck into a long run. Began before dawn, over the overpass, turning south and eventually west out Arthur. That little rest did me good; the air was clear, warm with a breeze, and the sun, as it began to wink over the horizon felt great on my back. Turning north I decided to go all the way up to Griffin and make it long...I had a yen to see that stretch by the Med. examiners and see if I had it in me to cruise that far....of course by that point, I was pretty burnt. Anything over 8-9 miles begins to tear me down, so the last mile or so I broke up with a few short walk breaks. But by the time I made it home I felt light, strong, victorious.

It takes a certain temperment to love all this. I described running to someone recently who thought it sounded 'crazy'....and had to laugh at how the perception of running never matches the experience. At certain stretches today, it was definitely a feeling of blissful effort. No, it's not easy. There may be runners out there who casually lay out miles, who can run without discomfort, but I doubt that's the majority. Most of us pay a price, but we also reap the rewards. So like anything in life, we are confirmed by the work in real results.

I listened to the radio last night on the way home from work, an interview with an old rapper turned minister, who gave his 'Word'...it was something like this: God will confirm your right efforts through results. The marketplace can't validate you because there's a price to everything. But God is Love, so She looks for a way to support every positive step.

I watched the debates and thought about the times, the energy pouring into progressive and regressive ways of coping with problems, as the parties represent themselves through their candidates. All along I saw a leader of the future offer his calm, rational insight. The old guard, old news, was still worshiping at the altar of his old gods.

It's tough to be independent enough to see past the propaganda machine and reach for our own good road. We take a risk each time we go out there, to reveal our true selves. The time is coming when real results will catch up to us in real time. Then the changes will take us like a tide into better times.

No comments: