Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Rest of us Stop because we're Tired




"Every day, I stop halfway through my run for five minutes, look around, and enjoy the surroundings. I'm reminded of why I do this and why I love it so much."

-ANITA ORTIZ

6 (gym) on Monday. 7ish out on the road Tuesday. 8ish today, starting before light, and slogging through high moisture, humidity and density...I was as soaked coming home as if I'd been swimming. Unreal. Rounding the corner towards Arthur, the sky, which had been stretches of gray, opened in pinwheels of pink and orange, as somewhere deep behind the atmosphere, the sun rose. It was a strangely unsettling sight; it looked staged, and while I was still trying to get awake and find my stride, the surreal nature of Nature fell upon me like a strange vision. I run, sometimes, through the atmosphere of early morning with a combination of this dread and mystical love. It intensifies the solitary feeling, the sense of risk and adventure. Adrenaline eventually kicks in, and by the time I let loose westward, I have embraced the rhythm, and my mind drifts elsewhere...

Odd cramping, today in my left calf. I am doing lots of stretching/light weights at night. But I confess, that by the time my day is done at work I have very little left that isn't squandered on the floor, the couch, the bed.

There are ebbs and flows; there are waves. We are watching them now. Let's see how the Powers that Be surf their way through to our future.

No comments: