Thursday, April 30, 2009

Love and Transformation



I took care to get enough sleep, eat right last night and hydrate before leaving on this morning's run. Unfortunately I pulled the wrong sox, and the heat began to build in my shoes creating that annoying, burning feeling I know so well...blisters forming. When I hit Anderson park I took one sock off. Amazingly, running in just that shoe felt fabulous. The airy upper mesh allowed my foot to breathe and I felt no pain.

I slid onto the Emerald Hills stretch and into the usual head winds. I'm getting used to it, but it was exhausting none the less. The bright sun was dwarfed by the stream of clouds which kept the winds cool and bracing. My pace, which was busted, began to settle. I found myself listening to odd Indian Bollywood tunes I must have loaded on the ipod from Limewire. Suddenly I was lifted, and drifted down the road without a care.

The love of beauty has always been my path to transformation. My easy link into the physicality of the earth has been my gift, balancing my existential angst, my philosophical search, my moral questions. Beauty and spirituality became a way to understand the natural patterns of life. The run, which gave me unexpected challenges, suddenly opened up into a soft meditation on my feet.

You never know how it will happen. If we allow ourselves the opening, the world will pour into us and continue through us, transforming our deepest dreams and giving others permission to find their own.

No comments: