Wednesday, April 29, 2009

hills and drills and the lovely TY park



It makes sense to take mid-week, Wednesday to drill at the park. This morning, I hit the road just as the sun was creasing the horizon; the stiff breeze brought a chill, but somehow I found a spring in my step as I headed to the overpass. Making the bridge a few times warms my legs up...so rounding into the park I am already primed. TY Park is a marvel. The devastation of Wilma is gone; the renovations sport new facilities, plantings that are growing lush out of their adolescence. I hate the presence of other runners on most days, long runs seem best done in the solitude of my own focus. But on drills day, I enjoy the democracy of the long snaking lines of strollers, walkers, runners, 'joggers'....all ages and sizes. I remember when a round of the park, about 2 miles was MAJOR victory- and how long before 2 rounds became my standard run.

Today, I took to the swells of the inner park- running the route I do when I need to find anything but flat. It's tough to train in Florida, and muscles become accustomed to singular activity, not a good thing when facing new challenges. We need to get outside that comfort zone and skip around a bit, find the interesting byways which force a new focus. A new awareness. A greater appreciation. Different accomplishment. Keeping it fresh and new, and another day down. Looking forward to a weekend of strong, long runs and the peace of my inner mind.

No comments: