Saturday, August 23, 2008

Taking it to the Park


"Channel your energy. Focus."

-CARL LEWIS

First off, all honor to Dave Matthew's sax player Leroi Moore- who died unexpectedly this week. Dave took the band on stage in LA later that day to pay tribute to his long-time friend. Leroi was originally in Charlottesville at the time of the accident; it took me back to the beginnings of DMB when we were all up in the Valley, watching as this young band caught fire from our backyard. Welcome Home, Leroi.

And kudos to the Jamaican runners, to Usain Bolt who breaks all the rules by being big and tall and FAST as the lightening he's named for....and who allows his full exuberance come through. Why is it 'unsportsmanlike' to show victory and pride?? I loved his wide, chest-thumping finishes!! I feel just like that every time I complete a good run! The hunters in us, the long-distance runners, we know how satisfying it is when we meet our objective, find the food, destination, friend or foe....I can imagine how it strikes up all our ancient emotions. Let him have his moments in the sun!

Today, it's business then pleasure. Supervision, checking in on the folks under the new home arrangement then treating myself to Hugh Birch Park for some nice, easy training looping along the inter coastal. For once, it looks relatively clear...Faye hasn't been done with us either; strong gusty downpours pummeled us yesterday afternoon. I am itching to get out there and stretch my legs. I know I'm stronger...but I've been sore too...need to find the right shoes. And enjoy the air, sun, water of beautiful south Florida.

No comments: