Sunday, August 17, 2008

Guts and Glory

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light."

-- Albert Schweitzer


Before I head out to see the folks, a quick recap on all things running this weekend. Saturday, in temps well above my comfort level, I did a very long loop, up to Dania Beach Blvd, down the Broadwalk and back through Hollywood, which I estimate to be a half-marathon or more length. I never had any oomph or energy; no amount of fluids, carbs, electrolytes or ducking into A/C did the trick. It was a slog from start to finish, and I walked a good bit of the last few miles, under oppressive sun. I paid for it to, the rest of the day; flung on the carpet with food and drink, my books, painting and TV for the Olympics all within reach. The best part of the day was hunkering in for the Women's marathon when the real guts and glory of the tiny spitfire, the Romanian runner was revealed as she ate the distance between her and the other contenders, flashing around the Bird's nest, never stopping, even after crossing the finish line.

It was breathtaking.

26.2 ++++ miles (the pluses are for all the victory laps....done, by the way, at a good clip)... at max. output. Only a few times did I notice her form edge into sloppiness as I'm sure she tired. But momentarily, until she pulled her resources and form together and WHAM! nailed the next miles, and miles and miles. When I am out there, I am always struck by the sheer weight of distance, distance that just seems to go on relentlessly and eat me up by the miles, the block, the foot fall. Distance which is always far; even when my destination nears. My true goal? That one day I can run a marathon, let's say, and pull that distance in with an embrace of strength and form- that I can carve myself into it, not be controlled by the pain and punishment. I have the vision, and the desire. I am willing to put the time and miles in. Now if the weather will cooperate, my short-term goal of keeping my 40-50 mpw base will be cake.

...but I watched as first Deena, then Paula fell back; Deena fell out. My old gals, who came in on such high hopes, barely made it out. Deena looks injured. Paula looked hobbled by an old injury. The uber-runners are fragile and vulnerable. And I am no uber-runner. But it helps remind me that you never know where the flash will come from; I'm sure, when the Romanian gal finally looked over her shoulder, she had to wonder how she came to be on the course all alone....! Then pinch herself and keep on her way, to a gold medal. How incredibly cool is that?!!

No comments: