Monday, August 11, 2008

Pushing 9


"Paula Radcliffe Says She's Ready for Marathon

Trying to regain fitness after losing time to a stress fracture and spider bite, she's been running outside every day at the British training camp in Macau. The team's marathon alternate, Hayley Haining, has flown home from the camp, further indicating that the world record holder will race next weekend."
* * * * * * *

I dropped Michael off to the airport before 6AM this morning, and was out on the road heading west by 6:15. The sky was barely coming light behind me, and in front a sea of darkness and quiet slowly engulfed me mile by mile as I made my way through the shrouded neighborhoods. I veered up to Stirling so I could take the overpass to 64th and cut through the Seminole rez. I knew if I put a 9 miler in it could help shake the tension, cobwebs, stress and extra calories off...by this point, I was into my stride and feeling strong. The sun, which had crested the horizon, was still just light- not heat, and I rounded out at Sheridan full of energy still. I took my break at Anderson Park and had the straight stretch on Thomas to take me back. These last miles I picked up the pace and gave myself a much needed speed work-out. The benefit of running so early, and missing the heat? Cruising into high gear and having energy to kick. It felt fantastic! And it was almost the last miles before I can safely say my head was finally at peace.

The weekend with Michael, family and friends, the Olympic start- all of it, was full of breadth and depth in every imaginable way. My emotional circuits were hard-pressed to keep up! Yet I felt deeply connected to the pulse of it all, as I stretched my mind out and about to the many facets of action. It is easy to get lost in all the push and pulls, and a temptation to allow others to take away my joy in the challenge. But time and again, I see how running keeps giving me renewed gifts; the ability to find within the resources needed to sustain effort, to meet new benchmarks, to put into practice what I once only envision as possible. It is even more certain, in my heart, that my path is unfolding with heart and hope on my side. It was Michael who helped me see that the resistance I get is the lack of ability of others to speak the language of emotion. I am lucky that those who are closest to me also open from their hearts. They provide the loyal attention of good family. They are my support as I throw my talents toward the world. I am grateful, and excited to be ever on my way!

No comments: