Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Not fast enough



-Usain Bolt, Jamaican sprinter

I was optimistic about my run this morning, even though I began easy enough. But by the time I hit the middle of Arthur, I was in full stride, feeling good. It was hot as hell, and I was set on my usual 8 mile loop. Coming up to the corner of 58th, where I make my right turn, a yellow dog, wandering loose, began to chase me down, snarling and growling. I tried to outrun him, but he got me, biting me square on the back of the knee! Then he kept circling me while I flagged down the first car I could find to put something between me and him. The car was packed with Latino guys on their way to work, who turned out to be the owner's neighbor. When they called him, he came out, said 'no speak English' and nonchalantly called, then gathered the dog, who by this time was sheepish, submissive, coy. Damn dog, my adrenaline was pumping, and my leg was sore. I flagged down a very nice lady in a van full of little girls who dropped me at Anderson park, where I had the water fountain to wash it and rehydrate. I did a loose loping run back down Thomas home. I'm in the middle of trying to get Animal Control in order to post a report. It's sore, and I want to make sure the dog has his shots. DAMN DOG!

Meanwhile, Usain Bolt, the Jamaican sprinter and possible gold medal contender for the 100 and 200 meters, will want to be fast enough. Look at those legs! It is a few weeks before track and field will come on the Olympic time line, but it will be thrilling to watch these ultra-runners do their thing. Who knows, if I had a sprint in me like him, I might have out run the dog, at least tired him out. One more obstacle to overcome in the quest for sound training.

No comments: