Monday, August 25, 2008

Sunday run report





"Taking charge of your body can help you take charge of your life. And that power can help you go wherever you want to go, every single day."

-CHERYL BRIDGES TREWORGY, member of five U.S. World Cross-Country teams


I managed to finish all my chores yesterday including a 'porch makeover' courtesy of TS Faye, who pretty much trashed my screen and flooded the storage containers. One thing about chaos, it's always an opportunity to bring order. By 4PM, the whole pad was looking good, laundry done, and even though it had been incredibly hot and humid I decided to loosen up and run.

I took that mysterious road north of Stirling at the corner of 56th....which turned out to be a beautiful, shaded stretch of old growth around houses on big lots, a nice track taking me up and up to Griffin where I turned east. I decided to turn south at the corner of a Publix, keeping in mind a good potential pit stop. Turns out, on this straight stretch, I blew by the County Med Examiner's, site of our annual trainings. This nice, flat straight away gave me a chance to change gears, so I flew into a solid rhythm until turning into a picturesque trailer park area just north of Stirling. So many places for sale....I end up close to Park, and lope back home with a great, strong feeling. Whatever soreness I had from the week, it was one of those runs when everything just synced up...and I had that lovely flying feeling, lifting just off the ground. The map says it was just under 7 miles....it seems longer...but it was just the medicine I needed to cap the weekend.

The Olympics are over, the Dems are in Denver, and my week at work will be mercifully short. Come Thursday I can plunge into training to my heart's content, hopefully including a run in Key Biscayne and the Rickenbacker loop. While I can I will indulge the time and attention to my comfort and care as I shore up resources for the work ahead, not just the clients, the project and school, but the heart-breaking changes with the folks. It will take guts and nerve to see it through. 7, 9 or 12 miles in the heat will give you that. Faith in getting it done.

No comments: