Friday, August 29, 2008

The Beach




On a sudden whim, I decide to pack up for a trip to John U. Lloyd State park, which I really haven't seen much of since Wilma, and sits just north of the long loop I do across Dania Bch Blvd and south to the Broadwalk. Since I was packing all this last minute, I didn't get there until after mid-morning, and drove all the way to the end to park next to the last jetty, at the last lot. It was hot. The landscaping in the park has come in nicely and the feeling was lush and at the same time open to the intercoastal waterway and the Port to one side. The 5 mile loop, down and back, was just long enough to be a challenge in high 80's. Later I heard the heat index was high 90's, so it's no wonder that I took the last mile or so with walk breaks. I found lovely little pockets of wildness, and an "environmental education" facility that sat near an inlet and would be the perfect spot for a meeting or workshop.

Back to the beach, I had the magnificent views of a wide, and mostly empty beach, the rock piles breaking up the surf as it came crashing in, and hot sands to leech the aches and pains from my legs. I ate, read, listened to the radio, meditated, swam. I soaked up enough sun to warm the inner chill from my heart holding onto whatever trepidations my focus has landed on. Before long, the whole world consisted of bright skies and moving water, the random solidity of the dark rocks framing wide swathes of sand. The world, even with boat traffic and trash on the tide, faded into irrelevance as the landscape of my mind became rested and calm.

I needed to demarcate the the place between the work week and time off; to physically take myself away from the stress of my desk, my clients, my daily life. I watched last night as the Dems took their place in history behind their champion and welcomed the space to celebrate and place my hopes and prayers in with theirs; that the world would come to embrace a new face of leadership to challenge the status quo.

I continue to float a bit, resting and regrouping energy, while I indulge my love of all things communication as the politics unfold. The winds are picking up on the tides of transformation. Watch what comes of it and hold on to your hats!

No comments: