Sunday, March 2, 2008

Saturday Ft. Lauderdale Loop

It's amazing how all doubts and sense of obstacles melt away when planning a long run. I've had a difficult time of it lately, with the workload and amount of stress from other quarters, and still feeling like I was climbing my way back from the world of hurt of the races. But as I thought about Saturday's run, a rush of child-like glee would bubble up in my heart, and I knew it was the best idea.

So I packed up extra food and gear and parked inside Hugh Birch state park on a beautiful, partly cloudy morning. It was later than might be prudent, making it for a warm circuit, but that's ok, I like the heat. Picking the lot in the heart of the park, I take the long, meandering road out, warming up in the Spira's with their springs, and the tunnel under A1A and the beach, south. Once I take that bike path down, I felt like I was back in the half-marathon again, watching the roadway full of runners aching and striving to come into the line. I bobbed and weaved my way through the traffic, the bikes, and other runners who, like me, use the bike lane to avoid the pedestrians on the crowded sidewalks. Finally, past Las Olas, the beach parks, I aim for the 17th Causeway bridge and take the hill only to have the road open up like a peeled onion for the big-masted ships to come through...a lovely place for a brake and a stretch. Another runner has come up behind me, a refugee from the Chicago winter ("yes, I lived there for a few years, I know what you're experiencing, I say"), and a Boston qualifier, out to do his 12 miles today. He looked compact, strong and fit- and even his casual movements looked deliberate and relaxed all at once. The big bridge parts standing on end finally came down and on either side the walkers, runners and bikers took off in their respective directions down the hills- and down-hill is a welcome relief when you run long.

I take the road to the corner of Federal where I buy a big bottle of water to replace my belt bottles and rehydrate well. It IS hot....but it's feeling fine, my leg is not a particular bother today. Take it up north towards downtown and listening easy on the ipod, in no particular hurry. Thinking of Ft. Lauderdale sagas, between the recent race, work, the whole M. sad soap opera, and its own unique quirks and personalities, I have a connection with Ft. Lauderdale. I take Broward all the way east to Victoria Park and mimic the route we trained on Saturdays.....love that little nieghborhood, up to Sunrise, then east and into the park. The last loop to the car, through the side of the park that hugs the intercoastal is a magical run- I gutted it out and gave it the gas, and found a rhythm that was as steady and musical as any gait I've had.

It was good to get a change of venue...I'm feeling more ready, now, to fall back into the roads of my own neighborhood and discover where I'm at in my training. I want to take it easy, at the same time I want to take it to a new level. Get really strong. Be able to go long without the level of suffering I've had with it. I want this year to take me up in its cadence, like a long expedition, an adventure, a flight. I'm seeing good mornings and great runs ahead. Starting now.

No comments: