Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Honoring the Path of Non-violence




Tibet is much on my mind. As protests escalate, following the 50th year of Chinese occupation, even the Dalai Lama appears conflicted about the path to follow. On NPR, a Tibetan exile was interviewed, and shared this split between the older followers of DL, and the younger folks who have lived under occupation and say "enough."

What do we do when we find obstacles in our way? Do we push through or explore the terrain hoping to find a way around? There are many peoples of the world who are trying to find their way through oppression. The oppression of the mind is the most cunning of all, however, and what we choose to do about it, to press through our assumptions seems to hold a key. The DL is free in his mind. And as such, he is hard pressed to demand that someone imprisoned in their beliefs can be modified. As a therapist, I know the powers of persuasion. Let me at the Chinese, and I will try to move the mountain of selfishness that is the root of all empire.

I ran hills and drills today, and it was nice, great to be out in windy weather, and fighting against the obstacles I seek out to make me strong. We are flung into the world to work our way back out. It's a peculiar system, but it seems to do the job.

No comments: