Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Going long, taking a break

Both Saturday and Sunday, I went long. Longer Sunday when I hopped onto the loop that took me north of Sheridan to Dania Beach Blvd, on over to the Beach, down the Broadwalk to Hollywood, and west until I hit the neighborhoods that wind up to my place. They've improved the sidewalks on DBB; now I have a nice straight stretch up to the bridge that spans the intracoastal. Hadn't seen the beach/ocean in some time....the depth of the blue took my breath away! And the winds were cool and crisp winding through too many people crowding the walkways. It was a relief to hit Tyler and that long mile or 2 into Hollywood, which on a Sunday is sleepy/crazy with traffic not paying enough attention to nuts like me, running up the road.

I was intensely sore. My hip was screaming the whole way. What was a good run Saturday turned into a forced march Sunday. 2 days off, Monday and Tuesday and I hope to be back out tomorrow, for a smooth 6-8. But you know what? I loved every tortured minute...and I missed it today....I was squirrelly and squirmy- I just need to be moving. Otherwise I start to feel like I harden into fired clay.

We are made to move. We are animals. And our brains are wired to take us out, and down the road, the path, the trail. In search of....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could run every day! I've found that I need a day off after a run or my legs tighten up. Especially two long runs! So much recovery occurs while you sleep, and 2 nights works well for me. I've been doing solo track work outs the last few months at central park in plantation. That sure will give you the runners high!
Don't over do it, give youself enough recovery time. Try the hollywood beach striders workout from the bandshell on wednesday!

runnerjs@comcast.net (Jim)