Monday, February 25, 2008

Back to basics

After some fits and starts over the past week, some decent miles, some days off, and hoping to heal the hitch in my hip, I make a renewed commitment to begin a training routine today.

Took the Spira's out for an easy 8, not quite as easy as I'd hoped, after about 5 miles, because of the hip. I would have to guess hip flexor? and after another mile or so, I could feel the soreness in both. I wonder if I strengthen my legs in general, with a few trips to the gym, if that wouldn't help. And the chiropractor, obviously.
But the 5ish miles up to that point were lovely, phenomenal. Out early enough to catch the coolishness, the sun-just-after-rising, the quiet on the side streets, the wierd, middle ground between dream and reality that was still swirling in my head.

The Spira's are my magic shoes. They take my steps and push me off the road in a rhythm that sometimes feels hard to control; I want to go faster, and I can. I am still recovering from deep fatigue, and getting off-schedule. And the somewhat roller coaster ride of extra social and family contact- something that, as much as it stirs the juices, can also create some havoc in my system. I am careful about that. I can tolerate only so much upsetting the apple cart.

I look forward to settling into routine, now that race season is behind me for now. There is a 10k in Miramar in March, but I'm not feeling terribly inspired to do it. I would rather build back to being able to handle a good, long weekend run, 10-15 milers for now, to get me out of my head, and into the wilds of Hollywood. And entrain my body back to my mind, heart and spirit.

No comments: