Monday, February 18, 2008

Ft. Lauderdale A1A Half Marathon report part 1

I lost my original post.....so I will have to return to my story when I have more time.
Today, Monday, the rain that threatened us on the course during the last few miles has come in. On race day, it was clear, mild and beautiful. I had my new shoes, the Asics, and little gear; I wanted to run this for fun, and to be as light and free as possible. I didn't know what to expect or how to anticipate a half-marathon coming off the Miami full. But somehow, despite lack of sleep and little miles since then, I took off down Las Olas with a bounce in my step, eager to reach A1A and the long stretch north by the ocean. The sun rose as we were south of Sunrise; that beautiful break-through of colors swimming on the water. I was good until hitting what I thought should be Oakland and the turn-around, but it was more north, and my mental energy began to flag as I kept seeing the runners ahead on the southbound side. Where the hell is it?? On and on....I know I slowed considerably trying to regain my gait, until- there is was, the loop back around to take the road south. At that point I made up my mind to give it the gas; after all I have done this route in training many times, flying down A1A in the early Saturday mornings etc. So I imagined myself alone (mostly) and stretched my legs out, and took that stretch in one gulp. While ahead, the bend right was taking us into Hugh Birch State Park and a 2ish mile loop before coming back out to A1A. I can do the park blindfolded I'm sure; I know every nook of that road. On race day, dodging other runners, it took on a surreal feeling; and it just never ended....coming out of the park was exhilarating; I looked at my watch- it was just before 8....as I came onto A1A I knew it was just 2 or 3 more miles and I just gassed it. Winds were coming up in our faces, and grey clouds were gathering themselves up; but I wasn't having it. Somewhere down the road was that finish line, and I was going to cross it faster than last year; that was the goal, and I was going to meet it. I took the runners ahead of me, one at a time, picking them out. I put a charge on, passed them, then took up my gait, another charge, another pass. Pretty soon, it was 1 more, then the turn into the parking lot by the beach and yes! the finish up ahead! There was Tom! And the official time: 2:20:23

It was a pretty run, exhilarating, confirming. Cheryl and Phil were at the same IHOP and we all had breakfast. I couldn't have asked for a better race in every way.
The gods put wings, not only on my feet, but in my heart. And I am grateful to know they carry me.

No comments: