Tuesday, February 5, 2008

how far is far enough?



It's 12 days out from the Ft. Lauderdale race. Dave, in Texas, says, 'do the marathon'. "Are ya scared?" he asked me on the phone last night. "uh, Yea," doh! How do I get my mind around another 26.2 miles so soon?? Cheryl says, no do the half.
Originally I wasn't too committed to either one. Now suddenly I've got new shoes on order, and a serious desire to see myself out there on A1A; half? or whole??

This morning I did a 7ish with strength and energy. The hitch in my hip wasn't bad, and was able to work itself out- mostly. If there's anything I have concern about it's hitting the midpoint having this annoying pain creep into my stride that I can't get rid of, and making the race a struggle to survive to the finish- again. The A1A course is one long lovely adventure with the ocean. It would be a beautiful journey to take feeling on my game. I have very little wiggle room here, one weekend of a long loop to test out my endurance, then just one week to get rested enough, strong enough, ready enough.

I hope the shoes come soon. There's a possibility for magic in something completely new. Wings on my feet and smiles in my heart. It simply feels wonderful to be on the move.

No comments: