Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Race, New Shoes

After way too much mulling over, it was finally time to jump in to the decision for Ft. Lauderdale, and register- for the half marathon. Much as I'd like to test the fates and see myself running all the way up A1A for the marathon, I recognize it's probably asking for a very unpleasant ride. Instead, without too much more preparation, I can more than likely take on a 13+ miler as another long run, except with a whole lot more people along. And doing it by the ocean, with the crowds, and all the support that comes with it is a nice change from solo training. Plus I'll see more local folks, including my Miami buds, Cheryl and Phil. And with any luck, Tom will be able to make it as support team at the finish.

My new shoes, a pair of Asics Landreth are most awesome. The Nimbus I've been running in for 2 pairs now are the massive cushioned cousins, and it always feels like I have bags of sand on my feet. The Landreth are light, fitted, shining; I feel like Mercury with wings on my feet, shooting lightning and sparks as they hit the ground. What would Miami have been like in these?? What will A1A be like? So far, the weather's looking calm and warmish, which favors me. If it doesn't rain, and no weird cold spells spill in, I'll be comfortable. My new bed, another element in my quest for more complete and proper comfort will hopefully help release some of the tension and chronic pain I've accumulated. Maybe not all of it in time, but I'm working on the long haul.

Last night, on HBO's Real Sports, a segment was about a 77 year old nun who 'heard the call' to become an ironman tri-athlete. She has become a 'minister' to the athletes she's met, stating "I understand what it takes for all of them to get to this starting line." She runs each race for someone, alive or dead, in honor of their spirit. "If God can put all this effort into making us, I can put the effort into doing this."
The Hawaii ironman is a 17 hour event. There were many clips of her as she biked or ran along, coming into the finish looking spry and flushed and full of joy. I recognized those looks. Not everyone is a runner or an endurance athlete. But for some of us, we found the key to linking mind, body and soul through the beating of our hearts. And it keeps us focused on the miracle and mystery of our lives as nothing else quite does; immediate, concentrated and inspired by a great and beneficent energy.

No comments: