Monday, October 19, 2009

One Week to Go




This is me the last time I crossed the finish line at a marathon, my first, in Miami 2007. Notice I am still standing upright, but not much movement in those legs. I hit every predictable problem in that race...I had hip flexor pain which kept me from easing into my stride, I tanked out around mile 18 with bad weather blowing through, I ate too much en route, took too many potty breaks. But I'm proud to say I made it in right before 6 hours, and this is still my goal.

Yesterday for the last long run I woke up to a sudden crash of temps into the 50's with a big biting wind that called for a wardrobe change into longer pants, more layers and head gear. It was tough into the wind. My heart was heavy- I had to change plans for the run at the last minute...I felt that odd clash of inner enthusiasm with outward disappointment and kept remembering the Hathors with their caution to seek the inner center where nothing from the outside can disrupt; not the weather, not disappointing SOs, not family worries, not the future or the past. I focused on my footfalls as they fell into the light that I imagined emanated from the core of earth through my legs and up into the center of the galaxy a line that I could follow like the line of a spinning top as I took my last loop around Griffin, to Park. It was all sore and exhausting until I hit that last long stretch then I found my sweet spot and settled in to my imagined straight-away at some unknown mile a week from now. Ok so 2-3 times this, I know. Altogether, yes. But the crowds carry us along, and the other runners who show their own determination and enthusiasm so openly and joyously are contagious. And maybe for the first time, I share it with my family and friends. For Dad. For Mom; for me.

From this point on, its a long preparation..a week of adjustments from the work week, from So Flo to the big world of Washington DC, and the kids. The packed few days of getting everywhere so I can arrive at the start line on Sunday. For anyone who follows the blog, think of me and wish me well. There is light and air to all those prayers of well-wishing and I will appreciate every one.

No comments: