Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Marathon Spirit Builds



That's Sammy, the winner of the Chicago marathon, setting a course record of 2:05 and change. A Kenyan discovered by a Japanese trainer, he's the new uber-wunderkind of long distances. His entire being is lit up crossing that line! There's no fatigue, no "finally!"...just pure triumphant joy! Way to go, Sammy!!

Today I took my 10 miles in big gulps. At this point, its a mental game. No matter what my body is doing, my mind needs to stay in control. So at different intervals, I kicked into a higher gear and told myself, "go, go!" and felt that fantastic free-flight feeling of flying down the road. Even in the last miles on Park, I managed a nice clip despite a nagging ache in my hip. Funny how the aches and pains migrate around, as the twin stresses of sitting in the office all day and trying to get comfortable in bed plague me.

With days and counting, I am so there! The work days between me and leaving are the mile markers en route to my flight. I have everything at the ready, more or less; the gear, the workshop stuff, the various and sundry gifts. I've thought out the race options for dressing; I have a little bit of an idea where I'm going. Last will be packing a picture of Dad to carry to the finish. The race, which is packed with military personnel, is the perfect place to honor him. Jules Max Cowen, shipfitter third class, US Navy, will be running along laughing his ass off I'm sure at the sheer spectacle of the race- something he was never able to see in real life. But I'm sure the tears will flow for both of us as the accomplishment comes into view. Wherever his spirit takes him, I hope this boost teleports him into a good place; where his buddies are waiting with warm hugs to carry him over the line.

Soon, Dad, we'll be there.

No comments: