Friday, October 30, 2009

Blink of an Eye- MCM and trip north Part 1

Carrier Library, JMU. A walk all around Harrisonburg, Virginia brought me to The Little Grill for a "collective" breakfast of amazing fresh, good food, a chat across the street at the Community Center, non-profit brainchild of LG folks-fame, a stop at Franklin St. Gallery, home of one of my wood sculptures, and to Grattan St. for a peek at another. It's strange to remember all the layers I inhabited here in Virginia. Carmel-in-the-Valley days, Valley Network, early family and Michael, artist at The Barn, Community Mediation Center, and back to school at JMU. It was 'yesterday' that I lived on Franklin St. and completed my bachelor's...everything is the same and completely different all at the same time! The last couple of days with the Jones', the few prior in West Virginia, taking the past to the past and speculating, dreaming the future.

All this on the heels of the marathon, and 26.2 miles of 'touring' greater Washington DC on foot. I am awestruck by the beauty of this whole area; is it any wonder it took me 17 years to leave it? I ran once in WVA on Tuesday just to see if I could; my quads and calves were still screamin' sore, but the walking is doing me good. My lovely daughter-in-law, and Director of Documentation has provided ample race photos, and when I get back to Florida I'll start to post to the blog. Meanwhile, I will only start with the sense of amazement that I did it, survived intact, and though posted a slow finish time, feel pride in finishing at all!! My first half an energetic charge to a second half overflowing with fatigue and discomfort. Moral of the story for now is stick to the halfs. Allow running to return to the mystical practice it has become to complete my connection between body and soul.

But I'm glad to have the roar of that crowd and the thousands of eager and supportive marines in my ear.

I can feel the energy of The Valley once more pushing itself through to a new level of change. Way back when we first came as outlanders to Carmel, in the late '70's, we had a vision of a "Mystery School." We saw ourselves pulling in the many young lightworkers who wanted to transform the world. In the blink of an eye, we turn around to find ourselves the same elders we once came to emulate. The professionals in the field, the family people, the core supporters of progressive projects popping like mushrooms from the fertile fields of historic endeavors. I bless those Mennonites, and other peace folks who brought it here. I bless the Native Americans who used it for their camp gatherings, building energies for a future us. I bless the young folks who pare it down to sustainability and heartfelt commitment to alternative lifestyles. I bless those sculptures for living on, with my imprint, in those rooms.

When I return, I will begin the process of sorting out the race photos. Postings to come will take the journey through the marathon. To all the finishers, it was one hell of a ride, wasn't it!? And to DC, and home of our President, deepest thanks.

No comments: