Friday, October 23, 2009

Last Training Run




Tears kept coming to my eyes as I made my way from Florida to DC; what I read, what I thought, what I saw, anticipated, remembered...such pathos and generosity to life! Upper most was my Dad, and my Mom who holds the ground from her wheelchair watching as someone else she loves leaves...but I'll be back!! What a year it's been...

So off I go on my own hard-won adventure. My usual plane phobia seemed to have lifted as I managed to enjoy the flight. My body still protests cramped spaces, pollution fumes, too many people too close (I know, start line...LOL). But the anxiety that used to rocket me into panic was gone. The guy next to me, reeking of bad cologne and cigarettes looked more miserable...giving me a reference point to realize how things have 'normalized' in the travel realm.

The kids are so great. What can I say about my little international family? I love their wide love; full of playful, gentle acceptance. They teach me something about my own nerve-wracked trajectory in relationships. They settle my soul with hopeful good will and I thank them for that. I loved the futon next to Michael's station; something out of a futuristic place of work with his multi-screened, multi-tasked uber-panels, in conjunction with what I recognize as a slightly bohemian approach to the house...the stuff of lives, like mine, with a lot of reference points. The books, pix, knickknacks, the playful colors, slightly disorderly chaos I recognize so well from my own approach to home. I slept like I was somewhere 20 years ago, with a smile of simple comfort, and allowed my body to unwind itself into needed rest.

Today, Michael took the bike and me out for my last training run. Weather overcast, 50's...the colors of fall kissing the trees against the iron sky. We start all downhill which gives me false promise that I can handle it, until we meet up to the bike path, the trail and some serious ups and downs I never have in Florida. But it was better than I expected; in fact, I'd say the change-ups helped some of my chronic aches and pains as my body had to make adjustments in terrain. No wonder runners hate the flats. To focus on form and put a little speed to it, we take the flat path back, crossing the highways, coming back to his home hill where I managed at least a little push. Altogether 7 miles, and I feel fantastic. Hot shower. Toast with PB. And a day to read and relax. THIS is how you prepare for a marathon!

Tomorrow it's Expo and packet pick-up day. A last bit of frenzy to find my space to prepare mentally. There's nothing else I can do physically. I can eat what I want at last; I can massage and stretch. But at this point, whatever I've gotten done in training is done. I will rise or fall on the prior 6 months, 6 years. I don't know if I should be confident or scared out of my wits. But like everything else in life, I won't know until I show up! See you in Crystal City!

No comments: