Monday, October 10, 2011

Visions and Reality

I put on my wind jacket, not completely water-proof (alas), and tucked my iphone into its plastic pouch before heading out for my Sunday long run, expectations low.   The blustery weather from a system sitting out to our east gave the morning a crazy, surreal feeling;  sharp periods of squally rain, long stretches of wind and enough dry stretches to allow the run to unfold.  It took a few miles to get my head out of my dreams and onto the road, but once I found my gait heading out Park, I settled nicely into my private reverie.

I continue to debate the decision to register for Miami 2012.   Training starts NOW.  To my advantage,  I have a pretty decent base, if the rule of thumb is about 20-30 mpw.   Check.    My routine is pretty training friendly with a few minor adjustments.   My heath is stable.  There are no other big distractions and/or responsibilities that would take me away from a calendar routine.   In my con column is the anxiety and stress I seem to undergo in the marathon training process...the race looms over me like Mt. Kilimanjaro;  every week is another gauntlet to 'run' through on my way to another ratcheting up of the month's totals...going after the ever elusive Long Distance needed to tackle the 26.2  miles.  Marine Corp was an eye-opener for me.  I trained, I was well-prepared, and it still took over 6 agonizing hours to come into the finish.   Pro:  Miami is VERY user-friendly and its in my back yard.   I would probably face less weather and logistical stress here at home.

It is easy for me to tap the Visions which have sustained me over the years,  a natural talent I'd feel safe in saying I inherited from my mother,  a mildly psychic and intuitive woman herself (comments always come to me about how I can 'read' someone's mind or as someone else recently reported, 'show up' in dreams to empower).  My sleep state has always been a sacred portal to dreams which are a conscious key to bridging my material and spiritual realities.   When it comes to the marathon, experience tells me that I need to be in full agreement with the Vision of the race;  can I translate my uber-wishes into Reality?

Part of what I have come to enjoy about my running since Mom died was the lack of pressures....for once,  there was little to impede my passions or pressure me to 'achieve' anything besides the process itself.  The relaxed agenda gave me the mental rest I needed;  is it time to adopt the "plan" again?  Regiment what has developed so organically, naturally?

A good goal is never a bad idea.   I can see myself cruising through the wonderful neighborhoods of Miami beach,  Coconut Grove....the question is, can I get there from here?

No comments: