Monday, October 24, 2011

Sunday long run 10-23-11

An unexpected opening in my schedule allowed me to run Saturday, a brisk, energetic 6-er which gave me false hope for Sunday.  Normally, because of timing,  I have 2 rest days before the Sunday run.  So the question was,  would a run prior give me a boost, or a bust?

Up early and out, I've been mapping out the extra mile or so weekly in my head, this time placing a run up the overpass to hook right and back to Park as the extra bit.  The goal was "8-9 miles" and adding this to my usual Park west and up to Griffin loop, should make that easily. 

Right away,  I felt sluggish and weak.  Sometimes, putting the overpass first is a jump-start, so I hoped by the time I got it going on Park, I'd find my rhythm.   The weather was a continuation of cool and clear, the early morning crystalline quality of light throwing everything into high relief.  Distracted by the shower of beauty in color and form,  always enamored by great landscapes and trees,  I made it over to John Williams for my first pit-stop and assessment.  It wasn't what I hoped;  already, I was dragging ass over to the park, and I was only halfway home.

I took the stretch all the way up to Griffin, passed by an older man/runner I see alot up there,  whose gait looked barely perceptible as he barely seemed to lift one foot after the other...SIGH....and walked a good bit between the top of 40th ...all the way to my next pit stop at Publix.   As I began the last stretch out,  my ringer went off!  (love my iphone slash music slash trainer....) and as I trotted along took  the call.   It was several miles later and I was still on the run!   Quick moral of this story:  distractions are helpful;  for that stretch, despite my clear fatigue,  I hardly noticed, getting deep into the conversation.  By the time I realized how far I'd gotten I was pretty close to home.

I won't say how long it took,   but clearly longer than I hoped, or how tough it was,  which was way tougher than I hoped.   The 'middle distance' runs are pretty predictable this way.  This is just when the body is most stressed to adapt to the 'shifting' into a higher level of endurance....and where my uber-inner-runner and my 55 year old self will battle it out.    I know if I can clear this hurdle, there are challenging, but enjoyable longer runs ahead.   It is said over and over,  and cannot be restated enough:  running is a mental sport.    The inner perception of distance, effort and pain are all subjective.  Get into your comfort zone, synch into the rhythm of the run itself, and a la Chi Running,  utilize the energy both within the body and around/through it, to achieve the effortlessness desired.   Sounds good, right?  It is the 'practice' of running that allows me to focus on exactly this;  overcoming my insecurities and doubts that I CAN do it!  And....I WILL.

I gave myself time to make the decision about Miami, and so far,  that luxury still holds.  Next week is the 12 miler,  which will tell me a lot about whether the full- or half- might need to be the goal.  Is it back to the beach loop?  A longer expedition to the west?  We'll see where the running gods lead me when I come back around next weekend.

No comments: