Monday, September 26, 2011

Before the Rain

I was lucky to hit 2 runs Sat and Sun this weekend, breaking up my usual long run into 2 slightly shorter ones and beating the rains which came in with a vengence yesterday.   Weekend runs deliver up the quiet and solitude I so enjoy out on the roads;  both times, I looped south, picking up some of my old routes for a change of scenery and mentally comparing where I am now to where I was when I hit these roads before.
I am always changing from year to year,  week to week, and often day to day, defeating my quest to stabilize my training and build into the uber-runner I see in my head.   While new runner rock stars are smashing records and achieving the impossible, I keep seeking to adjust to the many factors which seem to influence my running.   In Serenity Prayer terms, what I can and cannot control becomes as much an issue here as anywhere:  if not the response of my body to changing conditions,  what (besides food, gear etc) can I really control?
There is no relationship which can conform to my needs, but there are connections which support them.  The vast expanse of Nature Herself always gives me an open invitation;  She says,  come on out anytime, in any weather, and just keep moving one foot in the front on the other.  Enjoy your innate rhythm, motion and inner meditations.  Soak up the ephemeral beauty of My landscape as it unfolds around you.   She is making no other demands on me.  The only one 'demanding' is me.  

No comments: