Thursday, September 15, 2011

Arlington/DC trail run


My trip to play Granny to now one year old Claire gave me a chance to revisit my favorite little run spot in Arlington.   My hotel stands just at the corner of an entrance onto a footpath, following a waterway which eventually leads to the trail-head in towards this beautiful wooded area.  Michael and I have been deep into this area, and last time I revisited this, snaking under and around highways in order to get as lost as I could into the landscape.  This time,  the Irene and Lee floods had washed piles of debris over and into the streambeds;  the path was clear, sometimes wet and I cut the whole thing short once I reached the underpass:
On my way back,  I was drawn to sit with the water, which was rich with silt and rushing down the rock bed,  singing loud above the silence of the trees.
I love Alexandria,  and my spot in Shirlington/Arlington where I can access all this, but it wasn't until I got back to Florida that I realized how gray Washington DC really is.   One thing my body has learned to crave is the strong sub-tropic sunlight;  depression and debilitation have a tough time finding a foothold in the Sunshine State.  And the feedback from those who know me ensures my opinion:  I am where I am supposed to be.
Of course the reason for everything is claiming my place as an Elder in our little family circle.  The thrill of holding my granddaughter and feeling the spirits of my parents through me, watching my son and daughter-in-law, and reconnecting with my other family members brought me an energized joy which comes on me fresh and deep.  I had many moments of happy tears and of course, I could not hug this darling child enough!

Running is the ground, the predictable motion of my body into the world, bringing me the peace and solace of Nature wherever I find Her.   Within the confines of physicality,  our emotional and spiritual lives learn to soar into new dimensions, where connections are felt through our hearts, souls and World Mind.   When you see the loved one before you,  embrace the heroics of reaching out to find our footing together, as we walk our trails of Life, Love and Light.

No comments: