Monday, August 2, 2010

Working (it) Out




Now that my schedule is getting more locked in, I developed a strategy of winding down the weekend early enough to get a good long night's sleep before Monday AM. Sleep for me is more than restorative. As a life long 'dreamer' who has always had vivid, sometimes profound and always instructive dreams, my sleep life is where I seem to go to work out the issues of the day on deeper levels. As Vitae always taught me, the 'Dream masters' are there as unseen guides. Whether I remember the dreams or not, rarely do I wake up without some sense of 'something' necessary happening.

Today I woke plenty early enough to be out for a moderate loop and found myself in that strange zone between sleep and not-quite-awake, on my feet as I cruised up Park to take the cut up by St. Maurice. My Sunday long run was just brutal enough to make today more sluggish. But overall, I had the strength if not the 'umph' and made my way to my pit-stop at the Griffin Publix, no problem.

As I cut down 35th and the lovely winding stretch back to Stirling, I found myself hovering still in a dreamlike state where working out the nuances of plans, feelings and issues rolls along unencumbered. The mechanism of being in motion is the key to unlocking this process; I've said before that many people are not 'sitters' when it comes to meditation. And it's my theory that many runners are able to become most mindful when they can catapult themselves forward and therefore dissociate from their bodies. How does this work? I am aware of the run; I know what hurts, if I'm laboring either in breath or stride. The magic happens when the mysterious alchemy of elements syncs up into the kind of gait that releases me from any realization of being earth-bound; as if my spirit cuts free within my mind as it expands beyond the road, the shoes that bind my feet, the very curve of the earth Herself, the sky....

At those moments, I am in the dream, and the Masters can have at me in all their benevolent effort to open the doors that become stuck and sealed through the frustrations, pain and suffering which comes at me. Every step along the way is a percussive resounding of the current I aim to cut through into truth. If so many teachers are there to assist me, how can I say I am not enough to assist others? What can't I do if I put my mind and its assets to it? Miami...marathon...6 months...shall I??

No comments: