Monday, August 9, 2010

8-9-10



-Dean Karnazes

So far, the plan to get to bed early and up early (yes even weekend days) is working, with an early enough start time Sunday to catch what passes for 'cooler' temps these days. I had to remind myself to get out of my usual loop up Park and instead decided to head out West Park. For non-locals, the double 2 lane road with its big grassy divide used to be a magical stretch of road about 2 miles from where it curves off to its main intersection at 56th. I say 'used to' because before Hurricane Wilma, the entire road was graced with huge trees which created a leafy canopy, right down the grass divide. Wilma uprooted almost all of them. Now, it still has a wonderful quality- but only on Sundays, the one day when traffic is mostly absent, and the ability to run unencumbered, on a straightaway, is a nice training boost.

Yesterday, a woman and her dog came running past me as I began my walk up to my 'start' point (I have been walking the beginning and end of every run these days). As I began the West Park stretch, I notice her pass me and had my usual thought; 'oh how annoying, another runner faster than me, better than me who I'll have to look at now for a long stretch....etc'. A little while later, she circled back to chat. What I came to find out is this lovely gal, in her 40's, with her great looking black and white dog reminding me of my many black and white dogs over the years, was a devoted amateur like me, whose run a few marathons like me, and - like me- has visions of getting back to 'serious' distance running. To her, I was the uber runner!! I tell her my goal was tackling my big Griffin loop, which I haven't done in some time. I show her my 'pit stop' past 56th...and as we part ways, I watch and admire her steady gait, and the dedication of her dog who relaxed into her own easy lope besides her.

Naturally this was all the boost I needed to head out in the back roads to 56th. I took the stretch straight up to Griffin surprising myself that despite the heat, the usual fatigue, I could focus myself to maintain. I had a few nice lengths of relaxed gait, and nothing was hurting (for a change!). I have been keeping Miami in my mind and asking my body, are you ready? Do you want this? Knowing the expectations between my fantasy and reality are often somewhat out of sync.

Then there's Dean Karnazes. Look him up, he is the gold standard of everything distance and "uber". Where Scott Jurek sets records and struggles with his own internal demons which contribute to a sketchy performance, Dean is a flat-out, do it kind of guy. How do you train? I run. How do you cross train? I run. What do you eat? Good stuff, nothing extraordinary- "I drink water before I run" is one of my favorite 'Dean' answers (look up his website). Dean says, the only limitation is yourself, your attitude- etc. I believe this. I know, because 6-7 years ago before I ever ran a step, I would never have imagined running-or finishing a marathon. And what do all elder woman like me do post-menopause? Do we hang up our shoes, wax sentimental over our medals and photographs and start baking cookies? HELL NO! We stay on track; like the grandmother runners I saw via Facebook/YouTube who happily complete 50 and 100 miler races, it's a matter of 'reframing'...taking the distance and believing in its doability. The body will go where the mind takes it. I began to believe that this year and its new health challenges were an automatic set-back. But the magic of the road is such that Miami begins to feel better and better the more I imagine it...

Except for my SO, whose hesitation to say yes was knowing how difficult coming back from injuries and set-backs can be, my 'Team' is in consensus to do the marathon in January. If I commit that means we can look forward to 5 months of blog-work in processing my triumphs and challenges. Are we up for it? Do we have what it takes to commit? If Marine Corp marathon was the 'homage' to my Dad, this one would be in honor of my new granddaughter, (arrival date Sept!!), my Mom and all things Female. If the Goddess Herself enjoys the guise of Huntress, and the occasional long jaunt into the wilderness to clear Her mind and refresh her Spirit, then I'm sure She can lend me some of Mercury's courage and swift heart in my quest to demonstrate that ANYTHING is possible if we BELIEVE!!

Thank you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your getting fired up girl! That's so cool! It's rubbing off on me!
Jim

Right Brain Runner said...

Always glad to know the runners out there support each other...!! I hope it pans out...today I had the usual 'hitch' in my hip running the treadmill....hmmm, we'll see!