Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Rain Run




My timing was terrible if running in the rain is not your thing; up on schedule and out the door just as the skies were opening into a steady downpour. I wore what I thought was enough gear to stay somewhat dry which was a joke after a few minutes...but was smart enough to wear shoes sturdy enough to take pounding through puddles. I'm not adverse to strange weather conditions; for me running on a treadmill indoors like a lab rat is the workout of last resort.
I took the overpass, and made a very modest loop around Taft. The rain became a torrent and pretty soon I gave up any semblance of distance or true effort. Instead I began to remember the weather of my childhood in Pittsburgh, which at the time was a city of real extremes. I have distinct memories of tornadoes, huge snow storms and big rain, and my daily walks to school...As my feet became thoroughly soaked I began to stop avoiding puddles and went right for them...noisily running through with a child's abandon. Slogging through so much water, in water-logged shoes was tiring! So having a short run in this case packed its punch. And of course just as I cruised close to home, the rain began to taper. :-)

I dropped my gear and noticed the early morning sun breaking through the cloud cover. So I made my way to the opposite side of the building where, sure enough, a rainbow began to form. I did my stretching while watching this one and it's fainter twin develop over the arc of the sky; the colors becoming more distinct, the sheer thrilling beauty of it eclipsing the traffic, noises and human hustle-bustle below.

Somehow, Life is trying to remind me not to take anything for granted anymore. With every little step comes unexpected challenges and surprises. What we decide to make of all this is entirely up to us, as we begin to translate this language of essence and experience for ourselves. No one knows our secret inner world. Best yet, the only keeper of the keys is the Courage of our Hearts to see it clearly. I thank the gods of rain for the gift they gave me today!!

No comments: