Monday, August 23, 2010

Brooks Launch

In my quest to prepare for real training and all things Miami marathon (Jan. 2011), I took a field trip to one of my local running stores.  Packed with every stripe of runner, seeming, like me to look for the next pair of perfect shoes, I was fortunate enough to connect with a young, dread-headed salesguy who patiently took me through my options.  Seems all the major brands are now on the 'minimal' band-wagon.  Not quite the same as 'performance' shoes, we now have choices which contrast with the super-constructed, foamy, cushioned trend of the last 10 years or so.  I tried on Saucony, Mizuno and Brooks.  And for fun a pair of Newtons, which cost a fortune and apparently will 'adjust your alignment' due to their unusual soles (take a look next time).   Brooks felt balanced and 'right' immediately.  I've had a series of Brooks now, and ran my Glycerins into the ground.  So out of the box and onto my feet, I ran my longest run to date yesterday and felt completely fine!

Shoes will not solve all my issues.  Nor will the moderation in temps (hey it has to happen sometime!).  The truth of it is, I still have to close the gap between my expectations and my level of fitness.  Little by little, as I begin more consistent mileage, strength-training, yoga and nutrition, I hope to conquer the voice of doubt in my head.  Sleep seems to be an important tool as well, and I'm not afraid to crawl into bed like a real oldster, and allow myself plenty of rest.  The pay-off?  Feeling strong, fit and full of energy to cope with everything on my plate.  But most of all, that magical stretch of distance that comes when least expected...the quiet dissociative break from reality and the soaring into my own inner mind.  Running has been my means of access into the 'gestalt' of the world.  Without it, I would be hard-pressed to immerse myself in much the same way.  I have reached many a breakthrough with art, music, writing, and the spiritual connection with others.  But where the body goes, the mind will follow if given a chance to resonate on its own unique wavelength.

Happy training to all the club runners, the solo-ists, the charity supporters.  I am always glad to see others now out on the roads... preparing for what comes next. 

No comments: