Monday, July 27, 2009

Trekking




It may have been as humid and hot as a sauma, but somewhere mid-run Sunday I felt like I had lost my way in the Sahara and blanked out of the upscale Hollywood neighborhood I ran through. Something about the intensity of the heat, and I stopped, and stopped again and again. Maybe the first hour is tolerable; after that, it's hard to contain the pressure that mounts from steady exposure...down the broadwalk in full sun, I watched the waves kick gently against the shoreline. Through Hollywood, and coming up to Sheridan, I would like to say I had one pretty kick in me to the corner. But after that, I had to drag ass the rest of the way...it was a brutal reminder of how difficult a slog it can be, just propelling myself from point A to point B.

I'm glad I had the motivation to get out there. The results are accumulating in greater tolerance, endurance, persistence. Sometimes I think everything is about sticking in...but I confess I look for escape just like everyone else. It's hard to remember the Big Picture moving when we feel stuck, the world revolving when we stand still, the universe expanding even when it feels like our own field of influence shrinks... it's on the way to something we cannot see....that excitement grows from surprise, mystery, gifts from strange sources. Stay open, stay on the path; be ready for the lucky burst of energy that revs the energy of motion, and throttles down into rest. Go deeply, either way, and ride the pendulum swing.

No comments: