Monday, July 20, 2009

Long and Hothothot




Between Saturday and Sunday I racked up 25 miles to give me 45 for the week. Saturday was a long Griffin loop out to the Seminoles, about a 12-er I'll guess, and yesterday a long beach loop up through Hollywood, more or less the same. Each day I hit the road by 6:30 AM. No matter, though, because after that first blessed hour, the sun hits like gang-busters, whether its morning or not! The difference between comfort levels is like running in a sauna the second half, compared to a normal pace/rate with wispy pockets of dawn air cooling my heels.

It's just good to know I have it in me. Of course the leap from here to the next level is figuring out how to put on another 5+ miles to begin to acclimate my legs past this burn-out point. By 12,13 miles I have a slow shuffle ... somehow I need to convince my body that this is not an end point, but a 'regrouping' while we ratchet it on up for more...it's so psychological. The body will obey, as long as there is enough- enough water, fuel and motivation. I've been short on fuel- its time to begin carrying gels, and pay attention to water. But the motivation, like everything else, has a wax and wane to it; with pressures from outside sources impinging on my overall confidence.

Most of all, I think "I am a marathoner." And therefore I train for marathons. That's the identity I've taken even if it seems ridiculous, impossible, unreachable. I've proven to myself time and again that nothing is out of reach if I want to go for it. Aim for the highest, believe in the possibility of anything, and with all the extra Boost from the Team, see what happens.....I remember today to work for the goals and be ready for the surprise of Life to uplift.

No comments: