Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Celebrating the Good Runs



That's me crossing the finish line at the Miami marathon 2 years ago. My first and only marathon so far. On today's 10 miler, a gem of a run, I listened to "Runner's Roundtable" podcast, an old one talking about the Disney marathon back in Jan. I swelled with pride as they talked about their times...these were not uber runners, but mortals like me. They proudly reported on 6 and 7 hour times, and I thought hey! I came in under 6 hours, not bad for a 51 year old ex-smoker.

I have a great base. The back to back longer runs this weekend really got me strong. I have PLENTY of time to ramp it up, and who knows, maybe I can beat my time....? Slower runners keep the bar low. We can't compete with the field, we compete with ourselves. Our expectations need to stay within a range we can deal with, live with. At the same time, we identify with everyone, even the elites, leaving us in their dust. The thrill of participation is enough for us to be satisfied with what would otherwise be unremarkable performances. But for me, the nebbishy little jewish girl from Pittsburgh, the artist, anti-athlete, bookish nerd, there is a deep pride in knowing my body can carry me on this adventure, the whole experience of the run. Races are capstones; we come together with the democracy of other runners, and its all in with the field. Listening to the pod cast, and the excitement, amazement, breathless joy got me all cranked up for MCM. It won't be long, and my team will be helping me get to the start line. Any day, and I'll hit my first 20 miler in training. Some time soon, a new medal will be added to the collection. And this one, for Dad, will be the best. A stand against the cruel passage of time, a way to declare my pact with life, and the beautiful effort of endurance.

The good runs bring it all back. The gifts of Life carry us through all the crap we slog through along the way; the poor conditions, the fatigue, the slow deterioration of spirit and soul. One good run proves us worthy of the long haul. I'm back, I'm hungry for more. I see myself in the blaze of joy that is completing the goal.

No comments: