Monday, December 3, 2007

First December Long Run

While winter storms blast the midwest, unseasonably warm temps bring an unusual challenge for training this time of year. For the first long run of December, I cope with 80+ degrees, and head west, past University to Douglas Rd and the sign for Cooper City. And though it felt like the ends of the earth, according to the mapmyfitness site, it was, altogether, a 14 mile loop. Of course I cut the initial corner by jumping right on to Park Rd, but still, I was pretty amazed....after every long run I ask myself, can you go an additional 5, 10, 12 miles??

I felt strong to Douglas. I stopped at a Publix to refuel, and on the way back struggled to get my gait back all the way to John Williams Park, the next stop. But when I hit Thomas St. and the straight stretch home, I found it, the magical groove when whatever discomfort suffered seems to dissipate into the back of my awareness, and the rhythm of the run has a momentum of its own. The day was gorgeous; a little hot, yes, but crystal clear, with a small breeze kicking up in my face, each block passing me by in a blur of numbers counting down, taking the last turn with just enough energy for a kick home.

December is the last month to train hard. I want to sustain my 50+ weekly mileage and increase the Sunday runs. I figure if I keep going west, I can add miles easily, looping back the way I came. The traffic is sparse and I have stores to stop if I need them. It may still take me a ridiculously long time, but I still need to prove to myself I can stay on my feet for many hours. I even found a new way to lace my shoes which relieves pressure off the tops of my feet, and this was an incremental and enormous help. By Jan. I want to log a 20 miler and be ready to taper by mid month. I am trying to figure out how to gauge my expectations; too high, and I will be in for a hard fall. Too low and I might undertrain, and miscalculate my own resources. My running companions will be instrumental in helping me with this; they seem to understand the experience as only someone successful in running marathons can do.

It feels like a long ways, that 14 miles. Almost double, and I make it 26. I picture trying to do that loop twice, and how to make my feet rise and fall, rise and fall. I've done the 30k, so I can go longer, but I'm feeling intimidated by all this distance all of a sudden. Where am I going? I need to be careful, when out there, not to get lost, so close to the end.

No comments: