Thursday, May 3, 2007

On a roll

May has ushered in warm and humid weather, so even a run at 7:30 is hot hot hot....apparently, if I am to get serious about this training, I may need to keep inching up that time earlier to accomodate both the distance and the temps...SIGH...getting home late from work, trying to rest and regroup and get the sleep I know I need, this will be tricky business indeed.

After Sunday's mega-10, and a day off, I've pulled out 3 days in a row of 7s. And have paid for it with a wicked toe blister that regrew each run. I haven't had one in a long time, and chalk it up to the sudden heat and humidity with the more constant miles. Not to be deterred, tomorrow will be another rest day. If I pick it up again Saturday, I can still meet my goal of a comfortable 35-40 this week. (we'll see...)

I've needed the push...the intensity at work has been killer, and although I usually review cases while I run, this week I try to just get lost somewhere else. Not sure where I'm going...its definitely a "running away" these days, which for me is probably a good thing, since I tend to take it all home with me in my head, always my weak point as a counselor. Maybe that's what I try to do, run hard enough to put enough distance between me and what I do....to get to that lovely moment when I transcend the aches, pains and constant chatter of crap in my head....beautiful weightless calm...I never could meditate in any traditional sense, I always needed to be moving, and now I have a clearer sense of this as running develops. As a child I walked, explored endless roads and trails around the neighborhoods just to get away and find space for my thoughts...this pattern has never changed...

Solitude is harsh. At the same time, it saves my life. In the depth of being alone, I find and transcend myself, and stumble upon safety in motion.

No comments: